Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Decorated Sandwich bags

I love the idea of Bento Boxes, the lunch box Japanese women send with their loved ones. They take time to create edible works of art to make the recipient feel special and express their love. I would love to be able to do that each day, but I don't have the time or skill, so my simple American alternative is to decorate the sandwich bag! (I did say it was simple)

Traced with Sharpies in three colors.
I usually draw a picture and a note that tie in with what Immy is learning at school for the week. This past week they were reading Dr Suess and Olivia books, and I realized that I could just set the bag over a page in the book and trace away! I think they turned out pretty neat, and it encourages her to work on her reading skills.

One part of the story each day.
I usually make up her sandwiches ahead of time and put them in the freezer; she gets one each day.
We looked! And we saw him! The cat in the hat!

But our fish said "NO"! Make that cat go away!

Sally and I did not know what to do. So we had to shake hands with thing one and thing two.

This is Olivia. She is good at lots of things. (Book title: 40 VERY LOUD SONGS)
This is Immy's favorite page. 

2 comments:

  1. Okay....totally LOVE this!!! Such a fabulous idea, and wow you are quite the artist.
    -Cricket ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome! I want them too :-) -DH

    ReplyDelete