Sunday, May 2, 2010

Healthier Peanut-butter Cups

I know, I know, more food! That's all I have been posting about recently! I admit it, I have been cooking a lot. I should probably switch it up a little and do some sewing or crafting or something, but this seems to be where my interests and the warm weather have been pushing lately, so I'm just going to go with it until it's too hot to cook anymore.

Here are some delicious "healthy" Peanut-butter Cups that I made! I used this recipe from The Nourishing Gourmet and altered it a bit. I also found this recipe for The Nourishing Gourmet's PB cups after I had made mine.

for my recipe I used: 
  • 1 1/3 cup Natural Peanut-butter (no sugar)  
  • 1/2 cup Coconut Oil 
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract 
  • Pecans 
  • Large Dark Chocolate Chips
  1. Melt the coconut oil, honey, and peanut-butter in the microwave on low heat until just melted. 
  2. Then whisk it well, and added the vanilla extract.
  3. Set the oven to 200 degrees, and place 4 chocolate chips in the bottom of each cup of a mimi muffin pan.
  4. Place pan in the oven for about 1 minute until chocolate is just starting to melt (watch carefully, chocolate burns quickly!)
  5. Remove pan from the oven, and pour peanut-butter mixture over the chocolate in each cup until half full.
  6. Gently place 4 chocolate chips or pecans on top of the peanut-butter mixture in each cup. 
  7. Place the pan in the freezer for about 1hr until the PB cups are frozen.
  8. When they are frozen remove the PB cups from the pan by poking a knife down the side of each cup.
  9. Makes 48 PB Cups. 
  10. Store in the freezer, and enjoy as a frozen treat!
We loved these PB Cups! I thought they really hit the spot for the after dinner craving for something sweet. Having one or two was also very satisfying and did not leave you feeling like you wanted to come back and eat the whole bag in one sitting (the way some sugary treats do). They were not as sweet as the regular kind, so if you want them sweeter simply add more honey or sweetener of your choice.


5 comments:

  1. oooh yum! I do hope you saved one for me to try :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you get the coconut oil and the flaxseed meal from the burger recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are at Publix, in the health-food section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to post some more yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were awesome! Love ya! :-)

    -DH

    ReplyDelete